Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Easter Pageant




I wish I had taken the opportunity to post about this earlier, but nonetheless here it is.

Every Easter season, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints puts on Jesus the Christ, the largest outdoor Easter pageant in the world.  It is performed on the grounds of the Mesa, Arizona temple (the same place that does the Christmas lights here) and displays the life of Christ. This year there were over 900 volunteer staff and cast members who spent hours of their live perfecting the play for the public to view at no cost. Every night thousands of people (normally 11,000-15,000)  gather on the grounds to watch whether sitting in the chairs provided or having a picnic with a blanket on the grass.


Mesa Arizona Easter Pageant
Two years ago, I had the opportunity to be a cast member in the pageant. It was a great experience; although I took it for granted at the time. This year, however, my whole immediate family was it. That includes my mom, dad, and five sisters. Because I am studying in Flagstaff, I was not able to audition, but I did get to support them from the audience. Although my family had to sacrifice a lot of time at the expense of a lot of nerves, I know they helped bring thousands of individuals closer to Christ including myself. I am so grateful for their sacrifice and the sacrifices of the other hundreds of people that make the pageant possible. It is truly beautiful and uplifting. Thank you all so much.

My favorite scene was the same that it has been for years. It is one of the final scenes where Mary Magdalene goes to the tomb and finds that Christ's body is not there. When she turns around and realizes that the supposed gardener is her 'Master' so much joy crosses her face. In the pageant she then begins to sing a jubilant tune as she tells her friends and other apostles that she has seen the risen Christ.  She is so happy and full of joy, and her emotions radiate to the audience, and I feel it.



I will try to be on top of things next year and let everyone know when the pageant starts. It is an amazing experience for everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment