Monday, February 11, 2013

A Weekend and Windshield Wipers

Hands down, the impromptu trips home are the best parts of going to school in state. My hometown is only three hours away and when my roommate mentioned she was going home for the weekend, I was so on board

The East Coast got attacked with a vicious storm this weekend (named Nemo, I think), but the cold streak reached all the way to Flagstaff. As a result, as Arlene and I pulled out of town, a snow started to fall. We decided instead of taking the I-17 all the way home to take the much more scenic route through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona to see the red rocks covered in white. I witnessed some of the most gorgeous sights I have ever seen. Anyone traveling through Northern Arizona should take the Sedona-Flagstaff (Highway 89A) route regardless of the season; it is always beautiful.

Anyways, both my roommate and I had forgotten our cameras and the snowy road kept us on edge so I quickly tried to snap photos with Arlene's phone camera as she drove cautiously down the canyon. It was breathtaking the entire way; I spent most of the trip racking my brain, trying to decide if I had ever seen something so majestic. I concluded I had not.
 
 


After a quick lunch in Sedona and finishing the drive to the valley, I finally arrived at home sweet home. I was glad to have even just a couple of days away. Plus, I made sure to stalk up on homemade salsa and bread!
 
 
I also got to spend some fun time with my littlest sisters making Pumpkin Nutella cookies for the neighbors. We had a blast and the cookies turned out pretty good too. 


 

 
After just a short two days, it was time to head back to Flagstaff and the reality of school work. The ride up was really cool. I got to drive since my roommate was tired, and for the first time I drove through falling snow. An inch of snow covered the road and the falling flakes reduced visibility to about fifty feet. All the cars stuck to the right side of the road and moved slowly carving a route through the snow for the cars further behind. The truck in front of me splashed water and the snow landed on the windshield, reducing my visibility even more.                                                                      My mind was drawn back to a talk I had heard in church just yesterday. A family had moved back to Arizona after spending several years in Oregon. The wife related the constant Oregon rain to the trials of sin in our lives. She said  that we all sit in the driver's seat trying to maneuver through life the best we can. The rain may arrive subtly, drizzle, or just downpour onto the windshield and road. The windshield wipers were compared to repentance that can wipe away the water and give us increased visibility in life. They help us start anew. We can chose the speed of the windshield wipers  that we believe will keep us the most safe.
 
Now twenty-four hours later, here I was sitting behind the driver's wheel trudging through snow and always wanting to increase the visibility of the road and vehicles around me. I turned on the windshield wipers to clear the flicked-up water and snow from the glass. Unfortunately, as is common in Arizona, the windshield wipers needed replacing, so instead of clearing the glass, they rose up and wiped water. Then as they went to lay back down, they brought much of the water back with them. Therefore I had about half a second of good visibility, and then water quickly entered the scene again.  
 
I thought that this experience reflected some of my personal experiences too well to be a coincidence. There have been times in life when I turned on those damaged windshield wipers pretending to give a full effort of seeing clearly again. Although to the cars or people around me I seem to be working really hard and doing what I should, I in the end fall short. The half second of visibility, produced by my damaged wipers and half-efforts, was quickly covered up as the wipers drug the same limiting water back onto the windshield. Not until I got the right help and some working wipers did any lasting visibility occur, and I was truly grateful. I am sure we can all admit that although we may be able to drive around for months with damaged wipers, when the rain or snow storms do come having working wipers is much better and safer.
 
 


 

1 comment: